Perry Township Board Regular Meeting
Present: Sid Grinnell, Supervisor; Troy Parmalee, Treasurer; Kelly Schmidt, Clerk; Mark Fraser and Francis Griffith, Trustees
Guests: Kevin Feuka, Matt Stewart, Matthew Shepard, Beverly VandenBerg-Emery, Tom Emery, Justin Horvath
The Supervisor opened the Regular Meeting with the pledge to the flag.
Agenda approved with additions: Fraser moved; Griffith seconded. Carried.
June 4, 2014 regular meeting minutes approved: Parmalee moved; Fraser seconded. Carried.
Sheriff’s Report: 211 calls; 90 traffic stops in the township.
Public Comments: Matt Stewart, running for 35th Circuit Court Judge introduced himself and presented his qualifications. Matthew Shepard, running for 7th District Shiawassee County Commissioner introduced himself and presented his qualifications.
SSESA: 137 runs, 23 runs in Perry Twp., and 714 total SSESA runs for the year.
Zoning: There were permits issued for 2 pools, 1 sign, 2 decks, and 2 land divisions.
Recycling: $210 in donations for June. At the quarterly meeting it was noted that the current recycling agreement with the Township, Village and City will be expiring at the end of the year. Currently, each contributes $500 per year to support the program; however, it’s not enough due to low donations. Discussions of how to proceed with a new agreement will be held in January.
District Library: New Lothrop hiring temporary staff for their branch. Morrice branch is still having issues with water leaking into the building.
Parks & Rec: Trustee Griffith was given permission by the board to sending a letter to Mr.& Mrs. Lowerie requesting consideration of selling ½ to 2 acres of property directly behind the Perry Township Hall, to the township, to put in a picnic and play area.
Financial Statements and bills paid: Fraser moved; Schmidt, seconded. Roll Call: Grinnell, Fraser, Griffith, Schmidt, Parmalee. All ayes.
Correspondence: We received information on urban farming and Dec. 2013 winter ice storm funding, however we did not qualify.
· Perry City presented a proposal (floating formula plan) to spread the cost of the Lansing Rd Water Extension Project. Parmalee will evaluate to see if it’s a fair proposal. Discussion on creating a LDFA district for the City and Township through the I69 corridor to generate more revenue to support this project was agreed upon. Parmalee presented this to the i69 corridor board and it was approved.
· Kevin Feuka from C2AE informed the board that upon hook up of the sewer line for Knapp Trucking, it was filled with sand and needed to be cleaned out. He recommended that we run a camera through the line to see if it is cracked. Parmalee will seek bids. The board approved up to $3000.00 to have the sewer line cleaned and checked. Grinnell moved; Parmalee seconded. Roll Call: Parmalee, Grinnell, Fraser, Griffith, Schmidt. All ayes.
· The door and sidewalk approved by the accessibility grand will be completed by July 31, 2014.
· Because of the Lansing Rd Water Extension Project it was recommended that the DDA’s expiration be extended. Rowe Engineering prepared contract wording to extend the DDA another 15 years. This contract is contingent on the approval of Shiawassee Co. and the Twp. DDA.
· Wilma Parkherst contacted Grinnell about the heavy rains and water in her ditch. Grinnell advised the County Road Comm., and was told it is MDOT’s responsibility to correct. A letter will be sent to Ms. Parkherst.
· The I69 Corr. Committee approved the LDFA district for the Twp. A hearing will be set in August to approve the resolution. The board would highly recommend that the Co. Dist. Library and SSESA not opt out. The Perry Twp. Board approved proposed resolution to put a LDFA district in our township. Fraser moved; Parmalee seconded. Roll Call: Fraser, Griffith, Schmidt, Parmalee, Grinnell. All ayes.
· The board approved to renew our agreement with Demis and Wenzlick, P.C. for 3 years with fees not to exceed $4100 for 2014, $4200 for 2015, and $4300 for 2016 for audit services. Parmalee moved; Fraser seconded. Roll Call: Griffith, Schmidt, Parmalee, Grinnell, Fraser. All ayes.
· The board approved this year’s pledge of $3556 to the SEDP. Fraser moved; Griffith seconded. Roll Call: Schmidt, Parmalee, Grinnell, Fraser, Griffith. All ayes.
· The board was informed of numerous leaks in the roof of the Twp Hall. Schmidt will have the roof repaired but recommended it be evaluated next year for replacement due to rotted boards.
· The board was informed of a water line leak in the utility room. Schmidt will have it repaired.
Public Comments: Matthew Shepard expressed his support for Peter Konetchy for US Congress.
Adjourn: Parmalee moved; Fraser seconded. Carried.
Kelly Schmidt, Clerk